The word education must not be understood in the sense of teaching but of assisting the psychological development of the child. – Maria Montessori
In segment two of Mumsibles Montessori, I’m going to go through the method of teaching your little one how to a peel a banana. As with all Montessori Practical Life Activities, it teaches a child how to be independent and for me the best reward really is being able to see the smile when he can peel it himself.
What you will need:
- Blunt plastic knife
- Cutting Board
- Sit yourselves both at a table facing each other.
- Using the cutting board and the blunt knife, make a small incision on one side at the top of the banana so that it is easier to open and peel the banana.
- Hold the banana gently in the palm of your hand with the curved part of the banana towards you, point out to your child that this is the way the banana should be held.
- Pull down the first peel.
- When the first side is finished, turn the banana (with both hands), hold at the bottom and peel another section, continue until peeled.
- Now ask your child to peel his banana, gently helping if required.
- Eat the banana with your child.
Yay! He can now peel his own banana and have his own snack!
You can now include a banana for snack time and know that your little one doesn’t have to trouble the Teacher to peel it!
You may also want to look at –
Montessori Practical Life Activity – Folding a Napkin
- Montessori Practical Life Activity – Folding a Napkin (mumsibles.wordpress.com)