“Free the child’s potential, and you will transform him into the world.”
Let’s find out how a simply exercise such as Pouring Rice can open up a world of independence for your child in this segment of Montessori Practical Life Activity. This activity brings out a sense of self-reliance and also helps the child understand the importance of neatness and cleanliness.
What you will need:
- A tray
- Small plastic pitcher or plastic measuring cup
- Cup or bowl
- Cup of rice
- Start by sitting yourself next to your child.
- Take a few minutes to familiarize the child with the various things that are used – ‘Pitcher’, ‘Measuring Cup’, ‘Cup’ etc. Say out each word and point to the item.
- Now demonstrate how to hold the measuring cup / pitcher – grasp the handle with the thumb, index and middle fingers.
- Grasp the cup with the hand – Don’t forget to allow your child to choose which hand he needs to hold the objects with, let him be comfortable!
- Now bring the lip of the pitcher exactly on top of the cup so that the spout is exactly over the center.
- Pour rice into the cup!
- Point out that it should be done slowly and that as much as possible, the rice should not fall into the tray.
- Now that the demonstration is done with, chances are, he’d want to get the job done himself.
- Practice the activity for as long as your child likes to.
- Once your little one is comfortable with pouring rice and has perfected the art of pouring without spilling any rice onto the tray, try teaching him to pour his own juice, milk and water.
- Take it a step further! Give him a little sponge, placing it on a constant basis at a place where he can reach and teach him to clean up any spills by himself. Tada!
His grins and sense of reliance as he know he can do so much more than yesterday. He’ll gulp down extra water (you might have to as well!) as he loves his new accomplishment!
Congrats Mumsible! You don’t have to always pour your kids juice anymore! He can walk to the fridge, get his own juice carton, pour it and drink it… ALL BY HIMSELF. And does get it better? Yes, it does. He can clean any spills too! WOW!
- Montessori Practical Life Activity – Peeling a Banana (mumsibles.wordpress.com)
- Montessori Practical Life Activity – Folding a Napkin (mumsibles.wordpress.com)