by Contributing Writer Laura Hewetson
For the dough:
- Selection of cookie cutters (in this case Christmas themed) or tools to make your own shapes
- Large mixing bowl
- 1 cup of plain flour
- 1 cup of salt
- 1/2 cup of water – added gradually
- Baking Tray
- Grease Proof Paper
- Oven on a low heat
For the decorating:
- Baked and cooled salt dough decoration
- Acrylic Paints
- Paint Brushes
- Glitter Glue
- Spray enamel
- Put all the dry ingredients into a bowl and then add the water gradually.
- Then using your hands squish everything together. Once the dough comes together (it feel a bit like pizza dough, if it sticks to your hands add more flour). Then using a rolling pin, roll the dough out. Using the cookie cutters we cut out a variety of different Christmas shapes. We then used the straw to put holes in so the shapes can be hung up later!
- Put the shames on the baking paper and put into the oven. We baked them at about 150C for 1 hour, then turned the oven off (as we had to go out) and left them in there. When we got home we put the oven back on and baked them for another 45 mins or so. They just need to feel hard to the touch.
Let them cool and then they are ready for decorating.
We sprayed ours with a white enamel first for a nice base for other colours, and then once decorated we sprayed another layer of clear gloss over the top!
X-mas deco: done!!!