If you are not a vegetarian, egg whites are one of the healthiest food options when you are on a diet.
Read on to find out why you should include egg whites in your meal plan.
One boiled egg-white contains only 17 calories. (Where as the a whole egg contains 72 – 80 calories)
17 calories is less than 1 percent of the calorie intake in a 2000 calorie diet.
The egg whites could only contain traces of fat, but not saturated fat.
It doesn’t contain cholesterol, while the yolk has.
It tops the list convenience wise. It’s easy to cook, pack and store.
You can boil few eggs at once and store them in the refrigerator for the next few days.
It is also a simple on the go breakfast / meal / snack.
This simple protein rich food could be taken as a snack too. It will curb the appetite till your next meal.
Since eggs are a fast digesting form of protein, it is ideal to include them in a post workout meal.
So, here’s a simple but interesting, my version of the egg salad.
- 6 egg whites
- 1boiled carrot
- 1 brocolli floret
- 1 chopped big onion
- Chopped or sliced green bell pepper
- Chopped or sliced red bell pepper
- Cooked kidney beans
- 1–2 tablespoon of curd
- Boil the eggs.
- While it’s being boiled, scoop half of the avacado flesh in to a dish and cream it with table spoon of curd. Add litttle bit of salt, pepper and a dash of lime juice.
- Chop the onions.
- Cut the green and red peppers.
- Steam the carrots and cut them into cubes.
- Cut the tomatoes into manageable sizes.
- Drain the kidney beans and keep aside only the amount you want.
- When the eggs are boiled, remove the shell, and cut them in two halves, so that you can easily remove yolks. And cut the egg whites in to cubes.
- In a seperate pan, heat a little bit may be a tablespoon of coconut oil or butter and fry the onions and the peppers. Don’t fry them till they discolur.
- Take the pan off the fire. And let it simmer.
- Transfer the cooked ingredients into a big bowl.
- Then add the cubed egg whites.
- Add the dressing and give it a good mix.
- Add salt and pepper according to your taste. (You may also add chopped coriander leaves)
You can enjoy this salad with a slice of brown bread or two. Or, just the salad itself. It’s ideal for lunch or dinner. If you are having this salad for dinner, you can leave out the red kidney beans. But having red kidney beans in it would be ideal as a lunch option.
Please note, if you have any health concerns, consult your doctor before following any specific meal plan.