Here’s a fun craft that you can do with your little one on a rainy day when outdoor activities are limited but you prefer some quiet around the house!
I also like doing these on playdates so that kids have something fun to work on before a meal time, plus they can take it with them if they’d like too!
Weave a Table Mat is super easy for kids above 6 years. If you are doing this with smaller kids, you’d have to do it along with them (make sure that they do most of it and of course, you’d have to do the border for them :))
What you will need:
- Construction paper of two different complimentary colours
- Contact Paper/ Sticky book covers (available at Sarasavi Bookstore)
- Optional – board
- Cut one coloured paper into horizontal strips of 1 to 1.5 inches and the other colour into vertical strips of the same size. You can measure out the strips using a pencil and ruler before hand, since the paper has to be in equal and cut in straight sizes.
- Place the horizontal strips as you would one below each other.
- Glue or tape the ends of horizontal strips to one of the vertical strips, alternating top and bottom attachments.
- Weave the remaining vertical strips, securing their ends to the top and bottom horizontal strips.
- Once you are done, you can trim the edges. It is optional but you can either lay it on a board or use strips of board to give your weave place mat a border.
- Once you have added the board or the border, use the contact paper and stick it on both sides. Now the contact paper is just to make sure that your place-mat is somewhat waterproof – you can also get it laminated if you want something a bit more hardier but both these options are simply optional.
Weave a Table Mat is a fun project since weaving helps those little fingers be a bit nimble. It’s also just plain fun and honestly when the table is set, some of their own handy work being present is such a big ego boost for kids. Try enlisting your kids help for festive occasions or special functions, I’m sure your little ones and your guests alike will love these Weave Placemats.
If you liked this article on Weave A Table Mat, please do check these out as well