It’s fun. Working out can be a bit of a challenge if you have been out of touch or have never done it before. But nothing is impossible. All we need is to allocate some time, THE ME TIME!
Once you get into it, you will love and embrace your new life style. You don’t have to have a weight or a health problem to be on a work out regime. If you go to a walking path, an exercise class or to a gym and look around, you will find all sorts of shapes and sizes and the ages of people. Don’t wait till the doctor suggests it, you can start now. It is true that many of us busy mums don’t have the luxury of taking time out to visit a gym or a workout class, but hey, we have the option called ‘working out at home’, on your own time and space.
Here are some tips that will help you keep looking good even without going to a gym:
- If you live in an apartment, taking the stairs would be a better option than taking the lift.
- Play with your kids instead of watching them.
- House work such as mowing the lawn, raking the leaves and mopping the floor too could count as a good workout – whatever regular work around the house that keeps you active and makes you sweat.
- Using dumbbells – these are widely available in many sports goods shops. And these hand weights comes in many sizes too.
- Invest in a few fitness DVDs.
- Skipping with a skipping rope is a great idea too.
- You can also opt for an exercise machine. You don’t have to spend a lot buying it new. There are plenty available in the classifieds which are rarely or hardly used at a fraction of the brand new price. Choice would be yours.
- Share the cost with a friend. Swap some DVDs or share the ride to a walking path with her. But make sure not to depend on another for your health and fitness – with or without your friend/partner, you should continue.
- There are home visiting personal trainers attached to reputed gyms in Colombo. This option is for ones who have more specific goals or have health issues or complications.
- Take a brisk walk, (at least for 30-45 minutes) every morning after dropping kids to school. There are good walking paths available and also you could try walking in your neighborhood too.
- Last but not least watch your diet. Don’t give into temptations although you have easy access to the fridge and the cookie jars.
Keeping a food journal is advisable since you could monitor what you are eating throughout the day.
Here are some more tips I gathered from success stories.
- Jumping jacks – Making time for it when kids are watching TV. Instead of sitting with them, stand behind the sofa, facing the TV and practice your jacks!
- Using safety gates as hurdles.
- Using stairs for no specific reason. And seriously running up and down the stairs. I can relate my personal experience of using stairs when I was pregnant as a mean of exercise.
- Use of canned food as weights.
- Basic crunches.
- Exercise DVDs.
Well, I think that’s more than enough for a healthy kick start. Await more interesting articles.
If you wish to know more details please feel free to contact us by using the form below or if you want personal advice email email@example.com. We are more than happy to help you.