by Mumsibles G
“It is the child who makes the man, and no man exists who was not made by the child he once was.” – Maria Montessori
I simply love teaching Junior little things that he can do for himself. It just simply goes a very long way when your child can do tasks which appear to be grown up tasks. Setting a table is such a simple and safe task that requires concentration and goes a long way in teaching kids manners and etiquette. I do not believe in ‘children picking up these habits’, if they are taught when they are young they tend to be very independent and let’s face it, you don’t want them floundering when they are way in college living by themselves!
So here goes! A very simple Montessori Practical Activity – Setting A Table!
What you will need:
- Table – I started with Junior’s play table, you can work your way into the family table when he has practiced a bit – also take into consideration your child’s height!
- Cutlery – Again, maybe it’s best to start with plastic cutlery, but you’ll know what your little one is most comfortable with.
- Place Mat
- It’s always very important to demonstrate first before your little one has a go. So make sure you get his attention and place the place mat on the table.
- Next, place the plate in the center. You can then place the cutlery. I’d go with the knife and fork first and then after a couple of tries, add the spoon into place too.
- Place the cup.
- And then the napkin. It’s also an excellent time for your little one to place the napkin by himself. Check out my post on Montessori Practical Life Activity – Folding a Napkin for instructions
- Now get your little one to try it out – remember, be patient you may still need to show your little one where the things go, but around the second time, he’ll get the hang of it.
- You can add more things onto the table for your little one to set like salt & pepper shakers, flowers, etc
- You can combine this activity with a colouring activity by downloading our free printable that will help your kids remember where to place the different things on the table!
Yay!!! What a grown up big task!! Your little one is indeed shining!!
Wow, Mummy! You now have a little helper who will help you when having guests and there’s an easy chore that you can assign to your little one! 🙂
Images in this post & free printable courtesy of Google Images
Till Next Time!!