It’s a hit at our house and honestly in most houses that I know of. If you have a fussy eater, sweet and sour chicken is the way to go. Sweet and sour is flavoursome and of course sweet and kids easily regard it as a treat and not just a ‘meal’.
Try our sweet and sour recipe, you can substitute the chicken with either fish or prawns and I will guarantee two things: 1) You kids will not fuss and this will go down very easily!! 2) You will not be ordering Chinese take out again, our sweet and sour chicken recipe is on the spot!!
So here goes, here’s our Sweet & Sour Chicken recipe:
Sweet & Sour Chicken:
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in cubes
- 1 medium sized onion, sliced
- 2 small bell peppers (preferably green or yellow) sliced
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crushed.
- 2 table spoons of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of pineapple chunks (optional)
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Half a teaspoon of red food colouring
- Cut the chicken into one inch cubes. Heat the oil in a non stick pan and stir fry the chicken. I do coat it with some batter once in a while as an extra treat for my little one.
- Add in the onions, bell peppers, carrots and garlic and stir fry.
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients except the cornflour in a small bowl.
- Add the sauce into the chicken and add the cornflour to thicken the sauce as needed.
- You can add the pineapple chunks at this point if you have them. It’s optional though. Continue cooking on medium heat till chicken is cooked.
I like serving my Sweet & Sour Chicken with some plain steamed rice. I think you can enjoy the flavour of the sweet and sour better that way. If you have a terribly picky eater, this is the time to make some fried rice with all those veggie neatly hidden! Don’t forget to add an egg into the friend rice and of course accompany the meal with some Kang Kung!
There you have it, a Quick Family Feed that hits the spot! Tasty homemade food for picky & fussy eaters.