by Contributing Writer Laura Hewetson
What’s better than combining scone, dried-fruits nuts and chocolate?!
- 3 Cups Plain Flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 50g cold butter
- about 1 Cup milk
- ¾ cup mixed fruits (diced apricots, sultanas / raisins or mixed peal) I also added a handful of chopped almonds
- ½ cup chocolate chip
- 1/2 of an egg white
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- about 1 cup Icing sugar
1. Heat oven to 200C.
2. Sift and combine flour, sugar, cream of tartar, soda and spice in a large bowl. Grate butter over it and use hands to crumble it until the consistency is like breadcrumbs.
3. Add the milk and quickly mix into a soft dough
4. Gently pat out dough on a floured surface into a rectangle about 35cmx15 cm.
6. Bring long sides together to encase filling and roll up as best as you can into a log.
7. Brush with a bit of milk & bake at 200C for 10-15 min or until golden.
Whisk egg white until frothy; add lemon juice and then the icing sugar, until you have a consistency smooth and glossy.
Let the wreath cool a little before icing and decorate with mini chocolate Easter eggs.